Trustee Guidance eLearning Module
Users will be guided through interactive and video presentations to increase their knowledge of the area. They will then use this information to make decisions in real-world scenarios. Learner performance will be tracked throughout and assessed by a number of tests at the end.
General Duties of Charity Trustees
The course will cover the following areas:
- Introduction: introduces the course, purpose of the guidelines, learning goals
- About the Charities Regulator: introduces the Charities Regulator, its purpose and functions
- About Charity Trustees: defines trustees, describes duties, expectations and disqualification criteria
- General Duties of Charity Trustees: describes general duties of trustees
- Duties of Charity Trustees under the Charities Act 2009: legal requirements under the Act
- Final Points: additional points and course summary
Under the Charities Act 2009, the trustee of a charitable organisation has a number of responsibilities, and not meeting these responsibilities through ignorance can constitute a breach of charity law. Therefore, it is vital that trustees be fully acquainted with and educated in their duties. This module is intended to assist any trustee who is unsure of their responsibilities, or is new to the charity sector.
Completion of the module is strongly recommended to all charity trustees, to ensure that they are fully versed in their legal requirements and obligations.
On completion of the module, the trustee will be fully informed as to:
- The exact definition of a ‘Charity Trustee’
- The duties and responsibilities of a trustee
This eLearning Tool is to assist charity trustees in understanding their duties but should not be regarded as a legal interpretation of the Charities Act 2009 or any other law, and does not constitute legal advice. It is not, nor is it intended to be, a definitive statement of the law in this area and charity trustees are recommended to obtain their own legal advice where necessary. The Charities Regulator accepts no responsibility or liability for any errors, inaccuracies or omissions in this eLearning Tool.